Wednesday 20 August 2014

2. Submarine





Submarine:

Submarine is a coming of age film set in 1980’s Wales. The main characters are Oliver Tate and Jordana Bevan (Oliver’s first love). Thought the film Oliver has to deal with falling in love, heartbreak and his mother having a brief affair. It was originally a book but made into a film by the comedian Richard Ayoade. The film is very stylized and parts of it were shot using a Super 8. The consumes (large duffel coats and wooly jumpers) and tones (blues and grays) that are in the film are all tied together by this. The sound track was written and produced by Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) which as been just as successful as the film. It’s very light and feels quite pure just like the sea. The lyrics are quite poetic and I think that this fits in really nicely with the style of which the film is shot and arranged.

My favorite character is Oliver’s father Lloyd Tate because he’s just a genuine person. In the film Oliver shows concern for his as he notices him becoming depressed. He’s a marine biologist and I think has quite a good sense of humor, my favorite thing he says in the film is ‘Listen, look, I know you think I'm very boring, you know... but once I ripped my vest off in front of a woman, and err... it was very effective actually. It produced a very atavistic response.’ Even though he has been depressed I think he’s a great roll model for Oliver because he’s kind and caring. 


No comments:

Post a Comment